Once a home to four generations of the King family, King Cottage is now a museum that provides people with the opportunity to step into the lives of some of Bunbury’s earliest residents.
Housing an extensive collection of historic items, the cottage’s history stretches back as far as the 1800s.
It was built in the 1880s by Henry King, who had come to WA in 1855. The home was originally on five acres of land on the outskirts of the town.
The bricks were made by Henry King, who was a brickmaker by trade, and he built the house with the help of his sons. The pattern in which the bricks were laid on the front facade is known as Flemish bond while English bond was used on the end walls.
As a museum, it is an excellent example of a home in which an average family, such as the Kings, lived during the period from 1880 to the 1920s. It represents a snapshot of the social history of the era.
The rooms display artefacts associated with this period, as well as special displays of clothing, photographs and other items from the collection. Outside displays include wheeled vehicles, maritime items, small farm machinery and tools, laundry items and butter making equipment.
Members of the public are invited to bring in their family tree and photographs for future generations to view.