Located at the heart of the Busselton Foreshore, Railway House is home to Western Australia’s first steam locomotive, the Ballaarat Engine and interpretation about the timber industry and its pioneers.
Constructed by the City of Busselton, Railway House integrates the original Busselton Railway Station, with an interpretive and function centre; the Busselton Visitor Centre and Administration Centre for the Busselton Jetty Association.
Built in 1894, Busselton Railway Station (originally located on Stanley Street) was used to transport timber and produce to Perth, the South West and the Busselton Jetty for shipment overseas. A passenger train also served the community, linking to other regional centres. It was moved in 1987 before its most recent move to Foreshore Parade, where it has been incorporated into the new Railway House.
The station is now the Busselton Visitor Centre for the Margaret River Busselton Tourism Association. Home to the oldest surviving Australian-made locomotive, the historic Ballaarat Engine has a colourful history depicted in the interpretation.
Built in Ballarat, Victoria, the Ballaarat was the State’s first steam engine. Between 2012 and 2016, volunteers spent over 550 hours restoring the engine back to its former glory.
The interpretive centre displays tools and artefacts associated with the timber industry that have been donated by local residents. Information panels celebrate the journey of timber from the forest to the jetty, as this formed one of the founding industries of the town.